Episode 58: The Pursuit of Perfection, with Jonathan Horton
Olympian Gymnast, American Ninja Warrior star and all-round nice guy Jonathan Horton joins me to share his story of getting to the Olympics, and why it’s so important to set goals and visualise them.
Jonathan Horton is a retired American gymnast who has 2 Olympic medals to his name. When Jonathan was just 4 years old his mum lost him in a department stores.
He was found quickly, albeit 25 feet up a support beam he’d climbed up. The next day he was enrolled into a gymnastics class.
The key phrase that sticks out for me is when Jonathan says: ‘People give up on success because they haven’t seen a version of success that they want’. That’s powerful!
- 1m 29s: An unconventional route to gymnastics
- 5m 54s: Patience and determination in parenthood
- 8m 16s: 12 years of losing (and what kept me going)
- 11m 58s: What holds us back?
- 15m 02s: Trying Brazilian JuJitsu
- 17m 03s: Path to the Olympics
- 21m 07s: The Pursuit of Perfection
- 25m 01s: Goal setting, and big picture goals
- 28m 15s: Why I believe in visualisation
- 32m 30s: 6 years of America Ninja Warrior
- 34m 50s: Being dad